Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My First Quilt

Camille at Simplify and Carrie at La Vie en Rosie have challenged us to show our first and our most recent quilts so I have been having so much fun seeing others I decided to post mine. I'll show you the good first and then the ugly. I just made this quilt recently and I made it as a challenge to myself on placement of color and scale of prints. I love the way the colors are harmonizing. The large prints were a challenge to me as I don't usually use them but I think I got them right and I love this quilt.

Now for the ugly. According to the label on this quilt I made this in 1983. I actually attempted a quilt in the late 70's when I lived in Colorado but I never finished it. So this is #1. I remember getting the fabric at a Ben Franklin store-remember there were no quilt stores back then. At least in rural NH where I lived at the time there weren't any.
I hand quilted it in a tulip design. This shot gives you a good view of the fabrics available at the time. We moved to a more urban area of NH in 1984 and that was my first exposure to a quilt shop. There was a good selection of fabrics there but not like today's fabrics. Thank goodness there are so many fabulous fabrics around now.
I now rarely hand quilt and either I have my local quilt shop handle the machine quilt or I do small projects myself.
So that's it. I had forgotten I still had this. I'm going to wash it up and let my grandson use it for his naps. He seems to like many little blanket and quilts in bed with him for his sleeping. A boy after my own heart.
Update: I want to thank my daughter for calling my first quilt "primitive" in her comment on this post instead of the ugly I called it. Thanks Caryl!

21 comments:

  1. I think your ugly quilt is a great early quilt!! I would be very proud of that! I gave my early quilts to the local hospital for the babies. They like to give one to take home with each baby. I would like to see more of your quilts

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not ugly, just primitive. Carter will LOVE it and maybe Jackson will someday too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are both great! Sure, the newest quilt is a little more updated (okay, maybe a lot!) but they are both beautiful. What a lucky little guy to get to snuggle under your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa - it's very 1980s, isn't it? But I find it charming. And your hand quilting looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first saw your "good" quilt, I was thinking it was your first, and I was thinking WOW! I love it. Now for your first quilt... I made one very similar that is red white and blue... and it is a "good" quilt too. Your hand quilting is beautiful... be proud of your kelly green quilt. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your first qult is very nice. My first quilt is long gone...I made it for my husband when we were fist dating... Went to a lecture by Eleanor Burns back the late 70's he used it to death. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your quilt is awesome. And that you hand quilted it, oy vey, I've never tried that and don't think I will. I don't think it's ugly at all. I'm lucky that I didn't get into quilting till a few years ago, so I've had the luxury of great fabrics and wonderful quilt shops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well I don't see anything ugly about your first quilt. And I'd say you did a darn good job with the hand quilting too!

    Now my first quilt is truly ugly. I don't even know where it is....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Isn't it great to see how far that we have progressed. But don't you still hold that sweet spot in your heart for that first quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at that great hand quilting you did with this. Impressive, truly!!! And your work is fantastic. You ease into creativity and you're a natural quilter. That's obvious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They both look good . . . . just goes to show that being a quilter really is a journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, Chris! I think I have some of the same fabrics as you've got in your "primitive" quilt! Yikes... does that make us primitive too?

    As for the most recent quilt... I think you absolutely got the large prints exactly right! It's gorgeous and I love it too.

    Thanks to you and your grandson for sharing your quilts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing everyone's first quilts and how everyone's style has evolved over the years.

    Beautiful hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Caryl. It is a very sweet little quilt, & I am sure your grandson will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore your most recent quilt. The colors and patterns are very pleasing.

    Your first quilt is very cute, too. I remember some of those fabrics. (How many colors did that little pin-dot come in?) The hand-quilting is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm feeling nostalgic seeing the 80's prints in your first quilt.

    Your new strip quilt is very beautiful, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Primitive. I'll have to remember that! I love the bright, bold patterns on your latest quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love love love your recent quilt it is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice job on both and the hand quilting is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the hand quilting on your first quilt and you really did a great job on your most recent! Love the fabrics and colors. Is that your design?

    ReplyDelete

I pray that risen from the dead,
In glory I will stand,
A crown perhaps upon my head,
And a needle in my hand.