Monday, September 19, 2011

I"ve Been a Bit Preoccupied

I have been a bit preoccupied this past few weeks all due to this.
My husband and I have literally wanted to buy a lake cottage for years. After our week this summer of again renting a cottage at a lake right near this lake, the bug really got us and I started looking some more. I had seen this cottage on line for quite a while. The pictures they had were not flattering but something kept drawing me back to it. When the price dropped drastically at the end of summer I decided to go take a look. So one nice day in August, along with my daughter in law, daughter and youngest grandson, we made a visit. I immediately thought this could be the place so I had my husband take a look a few days later. He thought it could be the place too so we started the process. Our offer was accepted and all the inspections went well and last Friday it became ours. It's small but feels bigger than it is because it is very open. It has a fabulous porch on the lake side and it could use some cosmetic updates but I think we'll hold off on those for a while. It came with some furniture but we needed some more so my goal is to have anything I bring there be free or really cheap. Goodwill has been my friend! Here's one of my first makeovers.  

This rattan chair we bought for a reasonable price but it was dirty beyound belief. A little elbow grease took care of that and some slipcovers made by me did wonders.

You can't tell from this picture but the fabric is vintage bark cloth. I found a pair of very long bark cloth drapes with a matching valance for $20! The valance is now in the cottage kitchen and I have a lot more fabric to re-do some other pieces. A really good buy.

By the way, I call it a cottage but my husband calls it a camp. I think it's a little of both but who cares.  

10 comments:

  1. No matter what you call it, it looks like a wonderful place to spend time with family and friends. Congratulations on your purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a blessed gal you are! Hope you and hubby and family have many happy memories in your new cabin~ And I'll look forward to seeing some of your pictures! The chair is very nice~!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like a cozy little nest to me and fixing things to your liking will be fun. You are off to a good start! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your new adventure at the lake. My husband and I bought a cottage a few years ago and have no regrets. We have had so much fun making it our place. And remember bring the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I love goodwill and I love your cottage on the lake. Your chair looks great, but imagine if you painted it white (or pick a color from the beautiful fabric) ooooooohhh... I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tell your husband - "Camping involves a tent." :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on your new cabin! I hope you have lots of years of enjoyment there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful find your little house is! Love your thrift idea to furnish and decorate too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous new adventure! You and your friends and family will have bucketfuls of great memories here. I am so excited for you. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete

I pray that risen from the dead,
In glory I will stand,
A crown perhaps upon my head,
And a needle in my hand.